Posts tagged ‘challenge’
Sharon’s update with other updates in the comment section can be found here
1.Plant something – more green beans
The potatoes are blooming, some of our Blue Lake green beans are blooming and we will soon have summer squash.
2. Harvest something – cabbage, zucchinni, lots of herbs, hot peppers.
3. Preserve something – frozen bread for bread crumbs, frozen herbs
4. Prep something – nothing but…( getting instructions for a small green house.)
5. Cook something – new! Zucchinni Blossoms . Read about it here.
6. Manage your reserves- ..Managing my raport with my neighbors, I guess that qualifies as a reserve since I have been working on it for a while.
Using more of my crab apple jelly in this ice cream.I have got to get that jelly used up because our crab apple trees are full this year.
small sample view of crab apples
7. Work on local food systems – More hay for neighbors beef cattle. I don’t believe he could mow without a tractor. Neither could we. (but we could build a fench and put cattle in to graze someday if necessary)
8. Manage waste- Still throwing on compost heap .
9. Learn something new – How to stuff Zucchini blossoms .
Biggest Independence- Freedom, I stopped attending a local church because of this man standing behind a pulpit and pointing out “others sins” when he wasn’t a bit better than anyone else.
My Independence Days Update.
You can find Sharon’s update here with other updates in the comment section.
1.Plant something - More cucumbers and tomatoes have been placed in the garden. I planted Henderson Limas and the zucchini to feed the nation. The limas have sprouted and I love the little lima children.
The potato, corn and green beans are up.
Some of our peppers are blooming.
2. Harvest something - We harvested all sort of lettuce, green onion, radishes and herbs
3. Preserve something - I dried several herbs this past week.
4. Prep something- I got information on growing upside down tomatoes which I am going to try. You can see what a great idea by going to Eclectic Edibles
5. Cook something - Always cooking but have been a bit lame on the subject since getting my new high speed. I can’t even explain the freedom I feel without being bound with dialup.
6. Manage your reserves- Spent much time with newspapers and checking local sales since I always stock up sale items when taking my shopping trips. When it takes an hour to drive to stock up we make the trip as little as possible. I am bad about just circling things on the flyers and carry them with me and not making lists. My organization skills could use some tips and patience on this. We weeded the flour beds and gardens.
7. Work on local food systems - Afraid not this week. I intend to look into a local stand that supplies local fresh eggs and take a visit to a local working meal for flour (correction I meant to say working mill not working meal here…do I have food on the brain or what!). Not enough time in my days.
I’ll leave this post with some beautiful flowers blooming at my home right now.