Independence Days Update
You can find Sharons update with more updates in the comment section here.
I am running a very late update with the 4th weekend and all.
1.Plant something – more green beans, lettuce
The winter squash is forming.
Tomatoes are forming but very slow it seems.
While the cucumbers are blooming I find it odd that we don’t have cucumbers yet.
The corn is beginning to top.
2. Harvest something – cabbage, zucchini, lots of herbs, lots of hot and sweet peppers, summer squash, onion, lettuce, carrot, squash blossoms, wild raspberry ( wild blackberries are looking large and abundant but won’t be ready to harvest until the end of the month ).
3. Preserve something – tons of dried herbs, frozen squash and zucchini.
4. Prep something – nothing
5. Cook something – new! Grilled Honey Lime Shrimp Link to recipe. You know if worse comes to worse and I had to eat all local, I wouldn’t have the shrimp!
Let us pray.
Take the lobster and calamari if you must, but please leave me with shrimp and scallops. I will make do with our pond fish if I have to.
6. Manage your reserves – no I have been extremely lazy it seems.
7. Work on local food systems – No again.
8. Manage waste – Still throwing on compost heap, but forgetting to turn it .
9. Learn something new – Something about myself, I am not very good at maintaining compost and I don’t want to go without shrimp.